Even though favors aren’t exactly a mandatory part of any wedding, destination wedding favors are probably one of the first things that should be on your wedding planning checklist.
Because if you’re traveling out of town, let alone out of the country, to get married, your guests are more than likely going to have to spend a bit of cash to get there.
So you want to make sure you’re giving them at least a token of appreciation for going out of their way to celebrate with you.
And you also want to make sure that the favors you’re giving out are things that your guests can easily take home as keepsakes without getting broken during the trip.
What are the best destination wedding favors to look for?
Here are some of the things to consider, especially when you need to pack the favors and take them with you, or ship them ahead of time to your wedding location:
Favors that will fit into any budget.
Portability-lightweight and don’t take up a lot of space if you take them with you
Won’t melt or go bad.
No assembly required
Cheap to ship to your destination
For overseas weddings, destination wedding favors will get through customs on the way in and by your guests on the back out of the country
1. Favors that will fit into any budget. When you start shopping for destination wedding favors, you don’t want to spend a lot of money, because you might already be spending a good bit of cash on the wedding itself.
At the same time, you don’t want to give your guests cheap wedding favors either. They’ll know the difference. So look for tokens of appreciation that speak to your guests – that say a genuine ‘Thank You’ without blowing your budget.
2. Portability. You want your favors to be easy to take with you. They’ll either fit in a small enough box to take in your carry-on luggage, if you’re flying, or sit on the floor of your car and not take up much space.
3. Non-breakable. I know those cute little glass figures or ceramic pieces are really adorable. But the last thing you need is to reach your destination and a few of those little trinkets have cracked or broken.
Unless you bought extras just in case, you might be out of luck if you can’t find those same favors locally – if you even have time to shop for them.
4. Won’t melt or go bad. Edible wedding favors are pretty much all the rage today. But if you’re going to go with cookies or candy, make sure they’ll still be fresh when you’re ready to set them out for your guests.
6. Cheap to ship to your destination. The easiest way to get your destination wedding favors to your location is to ship them ahead of time – or have your vendor ship them to your location for you.
Just make sure your vendor is reliable and will definitely ship them on time. And be sure that whether you ship them yourself, or your vendor ships them for you, that your name and room number are on the shipping label so the hotel management can make sure that you get them.
Also make sure they’re shipped out enough in advance to actually reach your destination on time.
7. Getting through customs. So you’ve decided to get married outside of the U.S. – or your native country – maybe you live in Italy and you’ve always wanted to get married at Niagara Falls, either in Canada or the U.S.
Whether you’re bringing your destination wedding favors with you or you’re having them shipped over ahead of time, they need to get through customs without a problem and without any extra cost either to you or to the location where they’re being shipped.
The Perfect Destination Wedding Favors
I’ve found that the perfect destination wedding favors are flat, need no assembly, are less than $3.00 each, will travel anywhere, and are even less than 2 lbs. to carry.
These favors can be customized to fit in with any wedding theme and any location. And they’re so portable that your guests will have no problem putting them in a book or handbag, a shirt pocket or in their carry-on luggage.
The perfect destination wedding favors are customized and personalized wedding favor bookmarks! And if you need escort cards or place cards, you can use bookmarks which will also double as your favors.